Pages

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Goin' Old School

It's been a year and a half, but I'm back. Back to the red brick buildings and impossible parking lots. Back to the white walled rooms and rows of desks. The lectures and notes.

The Chapels...

I know it sounds crazy, but the latter is the one thing I've been dreading. It's silly, I know. But there's just something weird to me about being required to be in chapel so many times in order to graduate. It's an idealistic notion, but I don't want to be force fed. And I strive to "Love the Lord with all my heart mind soul strength."

I want more. If these students are going to be changed by this Christian campus, I don't know. But I want to see students taking responsibility for their own spirituality and changing the world. There should be no required chapel to insure some sort of spiritual focus for 45 minutes once a week, because we sould be living it 24/7. In our class rooms, in our cars, the caf, when we're dancing, when we're falling in love, when we're studying until our brains explode.

Hear O Israel, The Lord your God is One God! Love the Lord with all your
heart, all your mind, all your soul and all your strength. And love your
neighbor as yourself!

Now that is revolutionary. That statement, as Jesus says, says it all in a nutshell. It permeates every single moment of your life. There's no way around it. It is applicable. And we fail miserably. Praise God, He is gracious.

I don't care if you try to label it, I don't care if you see it as the "such and such movement". Because it is eternal and not a new concept and always resurfaces generation after generation.

Love God, Love People. Act it out. Live it, breathe it, see it.

No comments: