Pages

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I love trees.

Silent witnesses of truth
They are deeply rooted in the nourishing earth
They grow peacefully
Stretching up to heaven.
With the seasons they remind me
That bleak winters are followed by spring.
The deeper their roots, the higher they reach
The storms rage and they sing to you
Without the faithfulness of trees to be
What you are growing them to be
I would die.
With the seasons they remind me
That rich harvests are followed by cold winters
That reveal their limbs stretched out
Reaching high to praise you.

Let me be rooted deeply.
Let my life bear peaceful witness to you.
May I praise you in every season
According to your will.
Amen.

1 comment:

mary said...

I love this! Especially the line, "The deeper their roots, the higher they reach." Thank you for pointing out the parallel to our faith. Also, how they sing in the storm and they way winter reveals their outstreched limbs. Really beautiful, Elizabeth. May I have a hard copy?