Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Be my Valentine

Happy Valentine's Day!
So yesterday I wasn't sure we were going to get to celebrate because of the demands of school, but we did the best we could. I was okay with it and thinking that we would just do what we had to do. Then Austin showed up at school with all kinds of goodies! Tulips, chocolate, jelly bellies, a card and a big stuffed purple unicorn I am calling Kirbee.

That evening I cooked a real meal (when you are in grad school this is a rarity) while he studied for his test the next morning. I set the table, we turned on some music, opened a bottle of wine and had a wonderful dinner. We took turns answering "love maps" questions (a therapy tool) and having a blast. "Love maps" are a whole stack of questions like "What is your partner's secret ambition?" or "What is your partner's favorite way to spend a weekend?"

Then I helped Austin study.

We were both struck by what a wonderful low key evening this was, and that the real magic of Valentine's Day was just that we absolutely love being in each others company. Lavishly impressing each other was not the point of this V Day. It was about quality time and appreciating what we have. I am very blessed to be married to my best friend.

No comments: