Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

New Year 2012

I've always attempted new year's resolutions, and I've almost always failed. I've begun a tradition of making a list on my birthday instead, such as "26 things in my 26th year" that has been a joyful thing to do and something I plan to continue.

So as I reflect on the closing of a spectacular year, I have a different resolution for this new year.

This year, I choose a prayer rather than a resolution. I felt compelled to memorize Psalm 27 over the past few weeks, and in this last week of this year I've memorized the last of it. I don't like picking and choosing verses, so I did memorize it in its entirety, including the "conquer my enemies!" sentiments. David's desperate situation only makes the confidence of the following words all the more powerful.

A thread throughout this Psalm is my prayer for 2012:


The LORD is my light and my salvation: Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life: Of whom shall I be afraid?
...
One thing I have asked of the LORD: This only do I seek:
That I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life
To gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple
...
My heart says of you "Seek his face!": Your face, LORD I will seek
...
Teach me your way LORD: lead me in a straight path
...
I remain confident of this:
I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.
Wait for the LORD
Be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.

Happy New Year.

No comments: