Pages

Sunday, September 1, 2013

She's here!

Avery Elizabeth Brown
Born on her due date, August 26, 2013 at 8:33am
7 lbs 8 oz, 19.5 inches long


Well, not even 24 hours after writing that last post, our adventure began!

I woke up at 130 am on Monday, August 26, our due date, felt a funny feeling and sure enough my water broke!

At three am we made our way to the hospital to find out for sure if my water had broken or what was going on. We got there and they told me it hadn't but they'd watch me for a while before sending me home. Not five minutes later, I had a contraction and a gush! The nurse said, yep, that's your fluid, we'll get a room ready.

By 4 am I was already nearing transition and then by 530 our Dr was scrambling to get there in time because things were moving so fast. The nurse told me not to push and I said I can't not push!

Our doctor ran into the room in her workout clothes, threw on a gown and got ready for me to push.

After an hour and a half of pushing, our baby girl, Avery Elizabeth, came into this world at 833 am! Austin was able to help catch her and be the first person to hold her and place her skin to skin with me. Everything went perfectly, minus some stitches that I could care less about in that magical moment. Our perfect daughter, in my arms, wet and hot and looking around with her little eyes at this big new world.

It was the most incredible experience I've ever had. I did not use any pain medication or management other than what we had planned for with our friend and midwife, Linda. I will say that it was also in my mind that there is absolutely no judgement for anyone who chooses to use pain management. It was a really hard, painful experience and I don't think I would have missed out or anything had I chosen to ease the pain. But, that being said, I'm really happy that I was able to do what I had set my mind to do.

There are no words to describe what this past week has been like for our little family. Sweet, precious, miraculous all seem to fall short. We're exhausted, we've never been happier in our lives. We are positive that this is the most important thing we've ever done. The level of love we have for this little girl, our daughter is completely overwhelming. I haven't cried this much in my life.

We're breastfeeding and that has been challenging and also one of the most exquisite experiences ever. We're learning together, and those middle of the night feedings are some of the sweetest moments, in the quiet and dark room, her little hand on me, her eyes looking up at me.

Oh, baby girl, you are here! We love you more than we ever thought we could! You are the absolute best thing in our lives. I praise God for your safe delivery, for finally being able to hold and touch and smell and see you and hear you and your sweet little cooing and heartbreaking cries. Welcome, Avery Elizabeth to our family! You are right at home in the very heart of us. We have prayed over you since we found out about you. We anointed you on our first day home with you. The Lord is your shepherd and will watch over you all of your days. You've changed us forever, sweet daughter. 
Love, 
Mom and Dad

No comments: